Sunday, August 13, 2017

Paint the Point

This week I participated in Mineral Point's Paint the Point plein air event. A town of historic stone houses and a lot of hills.

The Amish owners of a local farm allowed me to paint their horses. By the time I got set up these horses moved out of site to the other side of the barn. I then moved and got this view. I had to work fast to capture the form that stood out on the hill. I first blocked in the shape with the dark and added the highlights on top of that. 
14" x 11" oil on panel -sodl
I did not have the same success with some cattle the next day. They were close to the fence when I started to set up but quickly moved over the hill and just stared at me half hidden while I ended up painting the landscape. 

For the quick paint I set up on a bridge. It started at 8 and I started at 8:15 and had to scramble to finish it by 10.
9" x 12" oil on panel
Quick paint 
9" x 12" oil on panel sold

Plein air painting of one of the rock outcropping that are scattered throughout the area.
10" x 8" oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment