Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dappled Paso Fino




The photo below is the reference shot for this painting. I had to edit around the white fence. The back legs were not ideal, so they were changed. Ideally I would have liked to work straight from the photo. The angle of the horse's head is what inspired me to paint this. I had to edit the hind quarter of the painting to look more like a Paso Fino using the other reference shots to figure out the anatomy. Defining the difference between one breed of horse and another is a challenge almost as challenging as capturing the difference in human faces. Another challenge is painting dappled horses. I used to paint little pins for Christmas presents. One of the pins was of a dappled circus horse which I kept for myself. I left the pin on my blouse when it went through the wash it was ruined. 
6x6 Oil on Raymar panel.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cooled gray colors and the highly textured surface, Carlene!

    ReplyDelete