Thursday, November 17, 2011

American Saddlebred

SOLD
I was walking around the Rodeo grounds taking pictures when two young girls came riding up, riding bareback on this horse and politely posed for me. As you can see I left them out. Digital pictures let you drop them in Photoshop and retreive details lost in the dark shadows, but this was taken before digital. I just guessed at the dark side of this horse and don't trust myself on the gir'ls details. The profile was just great and I couldn't resist painting it. It probably would be better with a landscape behind it, but this is one of those days I don't want to think too much. For me this painting was just fun and easy. I think this is an American Saddlebred but could it be an Arabian? I took some liberties with the tail, in the actual photo it was down and since the girls were riding on the back I created the profile of her back. Most of the paintings I have done were of Arabians with a few quarter horses thrown in. I have photos of Paso Finos which I have not used yet. When I was growing up I received the book, "An Album of Horses" and drew every horse in that book at least once. 
6x6 Oil on Raymar panel. $50

1 comment:

  1. Carlene...I looked at this and said, "Oh, yeah!"
    Beautifully done. I love that simplified, abstract, background...so "tailor made" for the subject!!
    I think it is more powerful than a landscape.

    ReplyDelete