I had fun with these two. I decided to get a little detailed for the sake of those shiny coats. The original photo did not have a distant horizon just grass all around. I have been experimenting with Prussian Blue for the greens. Often adding a hint of brown or red to the hansa yellow and prussian to tone down the "electric green" it creates.
14" x 11" oil on canvas panel
Started with blocking in the horses. I always find it hard to position the legs of partially hidden horses, so I procrastinate. The two horses were from two different photos. I use Photoshop to cut out the horse on the left and place it into the photo of the other one. It works if the photo of the two horses were taken the same time of day.
Once the horses were fully complete I used a palette knife to create the background. Trying to create a feeling of depth I added a bit of gray blue to the front greens.
Beautiful...the palette knife was a good choice.ReplyDelete
Painting the horses can sometimes be stressful getting it right. I just wanted to relax and play with the colors and textures.Delete
Really nice composition and I like all the texture. Great job rendering the horses, including the sheen of their coats. Well done!ReplyDelete
Thanks Helene, coming from you that is a very nice compliment.Delete