Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Grandpa's Barn


This is what was left of the barn on what was once my grandfather's farm. I took the reference photo 10 years ago before they tore down the barn. Growing up this was our playground; we would stack hay bales to make tunnels and walk the beams. Of course they had animals, one was a milk cow they could ride back to the barn. Back then they would milk by hand and the cows grazed in the pasture. I edited this in Photoshop, adding the cows from various photos and moveing them around. I didn't have milk cows in my reference shots as these are beef cattle, much bulkier. As I am looking at this image, I think I need a fence from the barn to the cow in front. 
11" x 14" oil on canvas

I went back in and eliminated the cows on the right and cropped the painting to 12" x 9". I added the fence and altered the calf that was scratching which looked like he did not have a head. I paint on canvas off the roll. When I like the image I attach the canvas to a panel using archival glue. 


3 comments:

  1. I love buildings and barns like this that have so much character. I am enjoying my visit to your blogs. Hope to get back again during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. Being a country girl I found your New York City Urban Sketches fascinating.

      Delete
  2. The cropping made such a difference. Good old barn.

    ReplyDelete